Sunday, 21 August 2011

Making a tricorn hat

I made the hat I was wearing in the previous post myself, and took some pictures during the process. This is in no way supposed to be a proper tutorial, just a small process post.

I based my process on this tutorial for "how to turn a straw hat into a bonnet":

http://www.kimyasuda.com/costumes/strawbonnet.html

And just changed the shape from bonnet, to tricorn. Before covering it in the fabric and decorating.
First, I covered the main part of the hat in fabris and sewed the top edge to keep the peices together. Its basically a circle and a long strip attached around the edges.

Photobucket

Another long strip around the brim;

Photobucket

Pin it all down to make sure it covers properly then unpin a little bit at a time and glue down the unpinned parts as you go.
then turn the top-part material inside out so the edge is on the inside, and glue that down too.

Decorate!

Photobucket

The wole process took a while, but it wasn't at all difficult :)

2 comments:

  1. That's lovely. I want to try it!

    I've seen that bonnet tutorial before and would never have figured it could be made into a tri-corn tutorial. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...